Faculty of mechanical engineering was established in June 1975 at the mechanical faculty, has existed since the founding of the Yaroslavl Institute of rubber industry in 1944 year. Originally faculty trained mechanical engineers for production of synthetic rubber and rubber products. In the year 1958 began training engineers in automation and integrated mechanization of chemical-technological processes. On the initiative of leading enterprises in Yaroslavl in the year 1969 the first intake of students for the purpose of training in mechanical engineering, metal-cutting machine tools and instruments, and from 1973 onwards-specialists for vocational education. With the 1993 training of mechanical engineers for the food industry.
Annual admission is around 300 people, including 250-funded places. Over the years, the Faculty has produced more than 8000 engineers.
The scientific work is being carried out by EZN, RFBR grants and the Ministry of education of the Russian Federation, hozdogovoram and various targeted programmes. The results of the work are published in domestic and foreign publications are discussed on the Russian and international conferences and symposiums.
Other scientific activities of departments associated with the establishment of new construction materials and technologies for their processing, computer aided design and control of technological processes, developing the foundations of probabilistic optimal structural design, development and implementation of modern educational technology in vocational training.